About The Pop Culture Collaborative
The Pop Culture Collaborative (“the Collaborative”) is a first-of-its-kind philanthropic resource and funder learning community working to transform the narrative landscape in America around people of color, immigrants and refugees, Muslims, and Indigenous peoples—especially those who are women, queer, transgender, and/or disabled—through partnerships between the social justice sector and the entertainment, advertising, and media industries.
With the vision and backing of a bold set of philanthropic investors (“Managing Partners”) and other donors, in 2016 the Collaborative began grantmaking to advance this vital work – and accelerate the impact of artists, social justice advocates, culture change strategists, tech innovators, academics, and others to affect change through entertainment and narratives in mass media. In just five years, the Collaborative has scaffolded, resourced, and nurtured the pop culture for social change field from the ground up, and tested a powerhouse set of narrative change focused grantmaking strategies.
For more about the Pop Culture Collaborative, visit www.popcollab.org.
Twitter and Instagram: @popcollab
The Pop Culture Collaborative seeks a part-time Social Media Manager consultant to implement the Collaborative’s social media strategy and maintain the Collaborative’s public voice.
This role will create original content, curate content from relevant community partners, entertainment and/or political news and analysis on a daily basis, as well as work with the Leadership staff team in adapting their own social media content. The Social Media Manager will also work with the Collaborative team around the co-design and implementation of special social media projects such as Collaborative grantmaking announcements, release of Collaborative media products and reports, supporting Collaborative grantees around the launch of their projects, and live coverage of Collaborative partners’ and/or entertainment industry events. This role will engage with the Collaborative’s current audience and support its growth, specifically among representatives from philanthropy, entertainment, social justice, mass media, and academic sectors. This position will routinely track audience engagement and growth metrics.
Social Media Management
- Review content from the Collaborative’s social media and news feeds one to two times a day
- Curate and post relevant content an average of two to five times a day across the Collaborative’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram feeds
- Align all content and engagement efforts with the current PCC brand narrative, personality, and tone. The Collaborative will provide onboarding for this consultant role on brand and voice.
- Track daily engagement around content and pivot strategy as audience engagement changes and share high-level monthly reports
- Manage content calendar for evergreen and upcoming topical cultural, industry and political happenings, opportunities, and developments
- Coordinate with Collaborative staff team on creating/curating content around current news events
- Coordinate with Collaborative staff and partners to share and post special announcements from Collaborative grantees and partners as needed
Special Project Activation
Work with designated team of Collaborative staff, consultants and/or partners around special announcements, events, releases, and more, to:
- Co-develop project’s social media content and audience engagement strategy
- Develop social media toolkits including proper handles, hashtags, sample content
- Create sample social media content for the organization’s accounts and staff’s personal accounts
- Create simple visual assets (memes) and/or advise visual asset designer in image creation
- Occasional live coverage of Collaborative partners’ and/or entertainment industry events
- Attend an average of two planning and check-in calls a month with Collaborative staff
- Participate in regular comms team group chats around social media strategy
This contract position includes:
- An average of 10-15 hours a week + additional hours designated for special projects
- Occasional weekend or evening work requested
- Initially six months (January—June 2022) with option for renewal
- Remote, in domestic US
- Experience in managing and producing social media content for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- 3+ years of substantive social media experience in entertainment, non-profit, and/or philanthropic sectors
- A passion for pop culture and social justice, and ability to translate that into powerful content that advances the Collaborative’s vision and work, amplifies our grantee community, and engages our audiences
- Experience working with different kinds of people, communicating to a diverse set of audiences, and a working knowledge of the dynamics of power, privilege, and bias
- Ability to work within established voice, brand and style guidelines
- Highly organized, proactive, detailed-oriented, and communicative
- BONUS: Ability to use or learn software like Photoshop or Illustrator, meme & gif generators, and/or apps like Canva is a plus
Please contact Daria Segalini, firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: PCC – Social Media Manager with a paragraph of interest, a resume, and two references. Hiring immediately.